Daily Chatter

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

About the dishes...



This weekend while the family was all in Virginia soaking up the warmer weather I got to check out the neighborhood a little more during my run.  You might remember that I did not like the lack of shoulders on the roads in VA. 
Quite often the roads are lined with a ditch.  Not too runner friendly.  In fact I don't think it would be very tire friendly either if you had to get over for a road hog while driving.
But back to my point.  The run was feeling hard from the start but I set out to do 8 miles so I kept running trying to make that switch from treadmill to road and trail.
The miles ticked away and I was finally feeling comfortable with my pace and stride
and then I started finding these.


Now it's not for everyone to carry four porcelain dishes, one cup and a stoneware serving tray the last two miles of their run but for me I think it added a little extra upper body work to the run.

Day # 219 ~ 3.5...so far

Now back in PA and on the treadmill as we are having another winter storm, I think our family is going to do a litter pick up along our road in VA next weekend. 
Sunday Hubbs, LBM and I went back out for a walk while S'ghetti girl was playing with a friend the trash along the road is terrible!  But we did enjoy getting out in the drizzle and gathering the rest of the dishes that I believe had be thrown at trees and utility poles by teenagers.  (I hope they didn't steal them but I think they probably did)
We found 2 dinner plates, 5 desert plates, 4 cups, a large stoneware serving plate and 2 porcelain tea pots.  S'ghetti girl is already planning her next tea party.

17 comments:

  1. People are leaving DISHES on the side of the road? Nice dishes? Bizarre! One man's trash... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I've seen a lot of weird stuff along the road, but never dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool abut the dishes, I used to be into mosaic everything so would have been all over that! Those are really pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is bizarre!
    I hope it entertained you during your run!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dishes. I have a "glass/cup" addiction.

    YAY for tea parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny--who'd have thought? And good for you for cleaning up the roads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you seriously find those on the road?? Maybe if you were running an ultra you could have gotten 12 place settings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so strange...makes for a good story though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable. Random dishes is something I actually like to pick-up at clearances or wherever and then I use them when I bring something somewhere so I don't have to worry about getting my dish back, but it still looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not get the dishes on the side of the road, but then again I don't get leaving anything on the side of the road. Great story for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The strange things you come across while out running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was hoping that you would give an explanation for these! I kept seeing the posts on FB and daily mile and going, what the heck?
    Very sweet though, glad S'ghetti girl got some use out of your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe someone just threw away dishes like that. Lucky S'ghetti Girl for making the time to invest in some new china.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are gorgeous too! I wonder what the story behind the dishes are. Cool story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leaving perfectly ok porcelain dishes at the side of the road? Some people I just don't get... Your girl will have a fancy tea party, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one of the weirdest things I've heard of picked up by a runner. Don't know how you carried that...!

    ReplyDelete