Daily Chatter

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A way of life



Today is day #613 of the running streak.  It's become so automatic to run every day that I often forget to check and see where I am as far as what day it is or how many miles I have run.  But a couple days ago I check to see how the numbers were looking and I realized that I was about 40 miles from hitting
5000 miles.

I don't know what you did tonight but after the first mile of my run tonight I had run 5000 miles without taking a day off.  I finished my run at 5010 miles.  That had a nice ring to it.  For a brief moment I thought it was pretty amazing, then I remembered all those runners who have streaks that have lasted decades HERE.  Runners who really live the running lifestyle. 

It was a great way to spend some of my evening.  The kids cheered for me as I "crossed" the 5000 mile mark and then they quickly got bored of watching me run in one place.  After this long my thoughts are a little different than they used to be.  Now my thoughts jump to things like wondering when I'll hit 6000. 

Crazy how a little habit becomes a way of life.

13 comments:

  1. I remember posting last year when you were sneaking up on a year straight, and now look at you! You're inching closer and closer to 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I love that the kids cheered for you! Congrats! I went to a book club and drank wine and ate delicious desserts. Fun, but not nearly as exciting as your night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an incredible achievement. 613 days of running - rain, hail or shine (or indoors). 5000 miles. Such commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing. I can't believe that you are almost 2 years into this. And I really don't think that the 100 miler will end your streak. You're so strong. You'll find a way to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UNBELIEVABLE! You are truly amazing and such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when you said the kids cheered but could only watch you run in place for so long. I love how they support you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really amazing, Shelly! I love reading about your runs. Life is so difficult and yet you manage to find a bit for yourself each day. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly incredible! Congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's insane! Insanely good! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter what streak others have, your is simply amazing. You make it a priority. If you have only 15 min, you get it in. Amazing. Inspiring. Was just telling my coach yesterday that you were one of my running idols!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely incredible. Wish I had your energy and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came here after I saw your comment on Tim H day 1500 of his streak....you are amazing.
    I am a new runner who met Tim in November and was inspired by him to start a streak... Not sure if mine will last and don't have any plans for it... I just run...

    ReplyDelete