Daily Chatter

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The HAT Run Trail 50k ~ Goals

I am reminded; in light of all that is happening in the world today that I am sheltered from but not unaware of, that I am so fortunate to be given the opportunity to be out in nature with other like-minded people enjoying what God has given us and helped us to be capable of. Along my run on Saturday I will be praying for various people and situations as I often do. I ask that you might join me (perhaps during your own run) in praying for all those affected to the recent natural disasters around the world.

Day # 311 ~ p.m. run ~ 6 miles

Did you see the weather forecast?


I guess I should be happy that the temperature for my Saturday race is a more comfortable 50degrees however I already thought there would be enough water on the course with at least 4 major creek crossing!
The upside is that I usually like running in the rain.  I just don't know how I will like running hills in the rain for 6 to 7 hours.  My fingers are going to be crossed that it holds off until after I have crossed that finish line!

The conditions will be what they will be so I won't speed a lot of time worry about them.  I'll try attempt to prepare for them as I look at setting so goals for this latest adventure. 

So here it is:

My I FINISHED goal: To arrive on time. To start. To finish.
aka: Finish Feeling Fine having Fun
 
This may be my biggest worry for this race since I will be traveling alone to a place I have never been.  Did I mention I am geographically challenged?  I am.  I have a card.  It's a club.
 
My I CAN goal: Finish in 7:06. 
Which is my time from the most challenging Ultra I've yet run.

This one is a little harder this time.  I don't know the course at all.  I DO know that it is relentless hills and water crossings.  So I am going into this race with much the same attitude as the Skyline Challenge 50k.  That would be to enjoy the challenge of this course.
My I LOVE IT goal: To finish within 31 minutes of my PR.
 With a current PR is 6:06 my I LOVE IT time would be 6:36.
My I DREAM IT goal: Under 6 hours.

As I often say, on any given day you just don't know what you are capable of until you amaze yourself doing it.  I will take all the positive experience I can from this race and it's runners and volunteers no matter how my body chooses to perform on Saturday. 

16 comments:

  1. I like your goals! I have a feeling you might surprise yourself this weekend! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time out on the trails, doing what you love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect set of goals...you will rock it and love the day, I"m sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck this weekend! I will thinking of you and praying with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go get it, Shelly...will be thinking of you and praying right along with you too! Remain the positive, cheerful sweet thing you are...and all will be right as "rain" :).
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are going to do awesome!! AND have a great time!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    Can you put my card in the mail? You know...
    the one that proves I'm also in the geographically challenged club :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. goooooooooooooooood luck! you'll rock it i have confidence. if you can get to the start in time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with Saturday's race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck this weekend! I love your goals. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. shelly...u inspire me every single day. i seriously dont know how u do it. u run a household, take care of the kids, work and run. u r truly a superwoman!
    u will do great on ur race. i wish u all the luck and will have my fingers crossed for the rain to hold off until u r done!
    lots of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the different layers of your goals!! Good luck this weekend :) I have been and will continue to say many prayers for all the crazy things happening in this world!! I'll be thinking AMAZING thoughts for you this weekend. I too enjoy running in the rain but I hope it holds off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck this weekend and have fun. I have no doubt you are going to surprise yourself in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happened upon your blog. Love this post...praying with you and good luck with your race.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sometimes pray when I'm jogging too - it gives me something to focus on besides the distance. Good luck with accomplishing your goals for this next race!

    ReplyDelete