Daily Chatter

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seneca Greenway Trail 50k Goals


There is no hiding from the fact that the Seneca Greenway Trail 50k is on Saturday.  In a mere two more wake ups I'll be running through the woods probably covered in mud at least until the next creek crossing.  How sad to say that I still don't have the details all worked out yet.  Hubbs is away for training that couldn't be rescheduled and my sister options have somewhat fallen through.
The upside is that I don't have time to worry about my performance in the race because I am too busy trying to get all the arrangements figured out.


And I haven't even talked goals yet.
So here it is:

My I FINISHED goal: To arrive on time. To start. To finish.

Having already run this course with a lot of snow and ice last year it may be a new challenge to run it with all the mud and water they are reporting this year.  However I know that I can finish as long as I don't slide off the side of the mountain, which can happen you know!
 
My I CAN goal: Finish within 31  minutes of my last 50k trail ultra.

I say 31 minutes because that is the "at least as long" distance of this course in minutes. Well, that's the distance if I don't get lost.  I figure I can finish within a minute either side of my previous time. Again barring not sliding off the side of the mountain.

My I LOVE IT goal: A new distance PR.
A new course PR.
Since trail ultras are not exact distances. RDs like to say their course is at least 50k, a new PR would be more about average pace than finishing time.   My previous time for this course was 6:46 I'd love to crush that on Saturday.

My I DREAM IT goal: Under 6 hours.

 
Yeah. You read that right.
When I dream about this course I even go as far as wondering if I could improve my course PR by an hour.  When I dream I jump in with both feet even on Day # 298.
I always believe that on any given day you just don't know what you are capable of until you have done it.

I dream that I can cover that distance in under 6 hours.

If I don't slide off the side of the mountain.

It can happen.

20 comments:

  1. You will not fall off the mountain and everything else will fall in place in due time. Of this I have no doubt. Good luck girl! Two sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T SLIDE OFF THAT MOUNTAIN!!
    Although it would add a bit of drama to your race report!

    Wishing you ALL the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. exciting! it will be great. love ur goals! yay. 2 more dayssss!eeeee. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very excited for you. I know no matter how it goes you will leave everything out on the trail. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've
    got
    this.

    Go get your under 6!!

    awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go get it Shelly! I hope it's a fantastic day for you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to be awesome this Saturday! Jump in with both feet and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always add similar caveats like your "falling off a mountain" :) You never know what's going to happen in these sorts of races!

    Good luck Saturday - can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your goal names, awesome :D You'll rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love having goals all the way from A to Z - looks good for Saturday! Hope you have a great day out there! be safe, smile and make some new friends along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't need to dream, you CAN do it! I am so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It CAN happen. You will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "on any given day you just don't know what you are capable of until you have done it."

    I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. good freaking luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No falling off of mountains..and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck on your race...May the day be perfect.

    I love your goal setting idea. I have always had a 3 goal plan but I really like your 4 goal titles. May have to steal that idea for my race on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I HOPE you can figure it out and get a gerat PR you have worked so hard and deserve to go out there and have a BLAST..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely LOVE the way you have framed your goals!!! Best of luck... enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. run shelly run! can't wait to hear all about it! leave your heart on the trail!

    ReplyDelete