Daily Chatter

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Calming


I think it was the "just too much on my mind" that kept me awake after getting LBM back to sleep at 4 a.m. so when we got ready to go for our morning miles I was happy to see the world was hidden in fog.

I just love fog.

It calms me.

And running in fog is even more calming.

The quiet stillness makes me feel like everything else simply doesn't exsist for those few miles.
All my worries are set aside just for a little bit.

It doesn't matter that life is stressful.
It doesn't matter that the BIG race is days away.
It doesn't matter that I might be running it completely alone.
It doesn't matter that work is so busy.
It doesn't matter for a bit.

And once I'm done running those worries don't seem quite as big anymore.

What helps you calm yourself when life and running and responsibility just add up to a little more than your shoulders want to bare?

13 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, I like this. awesome.

    And your one word description ----- it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I wish I knew the answer to your question because life IS a little more than I can bare at the moment. Running helps, but lately it's only temporary and the reminder comes back strong and fierce after I'm done.

    I too think fog is beautiful, and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coldplay and early AM running...it's weird, I know, but somehow the combo of the two does calm this nutcase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I love Fog too. Unfortunately, snow and rain here.....Great post-very reflective!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fog too, but we don't get much of it here in South Florida. Glad it calmed you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray. It always calms me and sets my day =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fog too, as long as I'm not driving =)

    My calming things: reading and running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jealous of your beautiful fog, it hasn't quite arrived here yet ;)

    Running is my calm time. Just thinking about one foot after another and my breathing. I can run for quite a bit of time and not remember a thing that crossed my mind.
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fog is great for running. Any run can have that effect on me--we're all so lucky to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like my early morning runs in KC..I can't get the same relief here in Miami. In KC it's dark, cool, QUIET and no one is around...peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi friend--Email me! I have lost your email and I have lots to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fog is so awesome to run in - such a rarity in Colorado but I remember many days when living in Iowa and running in it!! So peaceful!

    ReplyDelete