Daily Chatter

Thursday, March 21, 2013

HAT Run 50k - Fueling and Goals


 
Yesterday started out innocently enough.  I just had a request from S'ghetti girl  to make brownies.  She was having a friend over after school to watch Rise of the Guardians.  In case you didn't know it is THE all time best movie ever!  [insert tween attitude on the ever]  Jack Frost is so dreamy!  [insert tween swoon]  But I'm not complaining, it's better than her liking a real boy.
 
 
 
 But I digress.  What started as a batch of brownies ended up being a batch of brownies, three loaves of lemon bread, a double batch of chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies and batch of banana oat chocolate chip cookies. 
 
 
I sampled them all. 
 
 
And then ate something that was much healthier for me.  Elaine Benes would have been proud of my big salads.  So I am thoroughly fueled for Saturday's race after all that goodness.  Now to declare a few goals for race day.
 
The HAT Run is to be a training run for the MMT 100.  I know that racing can lead to an injury more easily than running a conservatively.  So this race will be a balancing act of priorities.  I need to be able to balance my desire to better my time on this course (6:17 in 2011 6:25 in 2012) and staying injury free for the A race.  With that in mind I give you my 2013 HAT Run goals.

My I FINISHED goal:
To arrive on time. To start. To finish.
aka: Finish Feeling Fine having Fun
Okay I have been here before so even though I am geographically challenged.  (I am. I have a card. It's a club.)
I have to drive on the "big" roads near DC and Baltimore.  I'm a farm girl remember.  It's culture shock!

 
My I CAN goal:
Finish in under 7:00 
This year even this goal is questionable.  Training to run for nearly a day and a half (aka 100 miles for me) has been most challenging in lower my pace so that I can continue to go hour after hour.  I will be interested in seeing if I can hold a steady pace knowing that the race is only 31ish miles.
 
 
My I LOVE IT goal:
To finish within 31 minutes of my PR.
With a current  course PR of 6:17 my I LOVE IT time would be 6:48.

My I DREAM IT goal:
Under 6 hours. Anything faster than 5:59 would beat my 50k PR.
If conditions are good and my left hamstring stays silent anything is possible.
 
The biggest goal I have for Saturday is to be able to run as if this is the only race.  All year I have been running with MMT in mind.  Never really running the run/race I was actually in.  I hope on Saturday to set MMT aside in my mind and truly run for the love of this course.  Run to see what I have to give because I know it is still true that on any given day I just don't know what I am capable of until I amaze myself doing it.
 

11 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you said "ONLY" 31 miles. You're amazing! My "only" 31 miles would have a period between the 3 and the 1. LOL Good luck to you, and HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! Fingers crossed that the weather is nice on race day.

      Delete
  2. I like that you compartmentalized your race/finish goals. That's a great lesson - your experience as a runner is enlightening - Thanks, I'm gonna use that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. With so many factors playing into ultra length events it helps to keep in mind that no one goal can define a successful race.

      Delete
  3. Love your baking day! I do things like that too...get in fits of baking and then my husband comes home and wonders what's for dinner. Usually by then I am too tired of the kitchen to make dinner, though, so he gets stuck doing it! lol At least there are cookies, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeheee. I think the kids had grilled cheese and soup that evening. I was tired of the kitchen too.

      Delete
  4. That is some yummy baking! And to think, I got wiped out just making a batch of sugar cookies after work Wednesday. Have a good race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, as I read the 'only 31 miles', as I have my first marathon attempt in 2 weeks, I couldn't help but smile. You always amaze and inspire. Hope you have an awesome run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's totally coincidental that I found your blog, we were looking for HAT results and you popped up! I met you on the trail yesterday in the last 5 mile section of the second loop and was admiring your attire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you cruising along at a great pace! Congrats on a great run yesterday.

      Delete
  7. Well the race is done and you got some fabulous weather so I hope it went well! That fueling looked DELISH.

    ReplyDelete